This recipe was in my mind from couple of weeks, but to make it on Holi felt special and very festive. I enjoy all the festival with different cooking and cuisines. This is traditional and a fun recipe with endless varieties, reason why i like it is because it healthy and different and very festive and it has pretty much all the goodies you can imagine, Fruits, veggies and dry fruits.
This recipe can be made in many different ways. This is just my way of doing it how I like it and to make it my own recipe with the right amount of flavor and essence:)
- 1 cup rice
- 1½ cup water
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp saffron
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp ghee
- Salt and red chili powder to taste
- Kashmiri Mirch (preferred as it gives a nice color)
- 1 cup dry fruit/nuts (I used almonds, pistachio, raisins and cashews)
- 1 apple
- 1 pomegranate
- Veggies (optional)
- Green chili (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 big cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 4-5 cloves
- Soak rice in warm water for 30 minutes
- Soak saffron in warm milk
- Sautee all your nuts in 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan and keep it aside
- Sautee veggies separately, if you are adding ? (optional)
- In separate pan put 2 tbsp ghee add bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamom and cloves, cook them for 2 minutes
- Drain the excess water out of your rice and Sautee the rice in ghee for 2-3 minutes, use a light hand so that you don’t break the rice.
- Add 1 ½ cup of water, salt and red chili powder, give it a light mix and cover it with a lid.
- Cook this for about 5-8 min, on medium high
- Add sautéed nut, give it a nice light toss, and then add saffron milk. Milk gives nice bleach to rice and saffron gives a nice color and flavor
- Cook it for another 3-5 minutes and turn the stove off, let it cool down and keep the lid on.
- Put one service in a bowl and add apple slices, pomegranate, sautéed vegetables, cilantro and 1 tsp of honey.
- I like to substitute honey with sugar as it tastes better and healthy. Also like to put honey when I serve for best results.
- Serve hot with your favorite side dish or just like that .I like it with any kind of fish pakodas, curry or baked fish!
It has sweet and spicy taste with the right color and aroma. Try it for your family or guest. This is very fancy for dinner as you guest will not stop talking about it. As appealing as it looks tastes out of the world too.
Note: This is specially for my kids so its made without the mirch(red chilli powder:) usually color comes more reddish!!